PRIMARY ART SUPPLY
14 WEST BROUGHTON STREET
SAVANNAH, GA 31401
Amy Spurlocks’ original concept of a store selling used college textbooks with some art supplies soon changed when she moved from her first location at Broughton St. and Abercorn St. The first store opened in 1995, and was somewhat less than 200 square feet. In 1996, using an SBAC guaranty, First Union National Bank funded a loan that helped Ms. Spurlock move to 14 W. Broughton St., which is a 1600 square foot facility. The additional space allowed the art supply inventory to be increased dramatically, which also prompted a new name for the business: PRIMARY ART SUPPLY.
Specializing in art supplies needed by the students at Savannah College of Art and Design, Ms. Spurlock became the dominant provider of art supplies in the downtown area. Growth and an increased staff came quickly as Ms. Spurlock continued to offer more and more items for SCAD students. Success allowed Ms. Spurlock to purchase her building and renovate the second floor for yet another 1600 square feet of retail space. Primary Art now has a staff of 14, provides framing services, and has become a destination of choice for local artists as well as students of SCAD.
With two floors of retail space showing all the latest art supplies, and employees that are artists themselves (including Ms. Spurlock), Primary Art is THE place to purchase supplies and discuss techniques and art characteristics in the City of Savannah.